Director of Finance & Operations
Job type: Full time
Location: Portland, OR or New York, NY
Start date: Dec/Jan
Deadline for applications: 20 December 2013 (Deadline Extended)
Sustainable Travel International is seeking a fast-learning, motivated professional to manage finance and operations for a growing non-profit organization. This is a significant growth opportunity for a high-performing individual.
Sustainable Travel International’s mission is to help destinations, businesses, and travelers develop and implement innovative solutions that protect the environment, support adaptation to climate change, maintain sense of place, and generate economic benefits.
We’re looking for an individual who can contribute professional financial management and reporting to our organization while helping to manage and improve operational and HR systems that will enable us to effectively achieve our mission.
The goal of the Director of Finance and Operations is to ensure that all of Sustainable Travel International’s finances are properly managed, that financial reporting is timely and accurate, and the organization’s human resource management processes are professional and consistent.
The key responsibilities of the Director will be to:
- Manage the organization’s daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial activities, including the monitoring of cash balances
- Lead the preparation of internal and external financial reports, forecasts, budgets and financial targets
- Support the operations of the organization, including human resources and administration
Ideal candidates will have a degree in business, finance or administration, at least three years experience in financial management and operations, preferably in the nonprofit sector, and a keen interest in travel and sustainability.
We operate a virtual office environment but will give preference to candidates located within two hours of our offices located near around Portland, Oregon or NYC, NY.
Essential qualifications and requirements:
- A degree in finance, accounting or business administration (CPA/MBA preferred)
- Three or more years experience in financial management, cash forecasting and/or operations
- Proven experience improving operational systems, processes and policies
- Excellent skills and familiarity with Quickbooks and Excel
- Experience in human resources and administration
- A passion for travel, tourism and sustainability
- Flexibility, multi-tasking capability, ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- The desire to make a significant contribution to a global organization making a social difference
- Familiarity with Google Apps, Salesforce, project management systems
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a virtual office environment
- Experience in the nonprofit sector
- Experience in travel logistics and foreign currencies
- Experience with contractual language/documentation
Commensurate with experience. A 90 day introductory period applies to all new positions. This is a significant career opportunity for motivated, fast-learning and successful candidates.
The application process:
Qualified candidates should complete this short application, and send your CV and one-page cover letter to
with “Director Finance and Operations” and your last name in CAPS in the subject line. These documents should demonstrate your writing and presentation capability. Please also include your last name in CAPS in the file name of any attached document.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until December 20th, 2013 (Deadline Extended). Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Short-listed candidates will be requested to provide the names and contact details of three references, including at least one direct manager.
About Sustainable Travel International (www.sustainabletravel.org)
Sustainable Travel International is a non-profit organization with a purpose. We’ve been collaborating with destinations, businesses and travelers to implement innovative sustainable tourism development and conservation solutions since 2002. We combine the mission and transparency of a non-profit NGO with the business acumen and expertise of the private sector, ensuring our partners achieve their desired results and receive a strong return on investment.